It seems as if spending time together as a family is a thing of the past. When kids of today’s generation talk about games, they are most often discussing games they play online.
When their parents mention games, they are likely to be referring to card games they play with friends. This might make some people wonder what happened to the days of old when families played games together.
Long ago before the invention of video games and then the internet, families spent time together playing board games such as Monopoly, Life, Scrabble, or even small child friendly games like Snakes & Ladders. Playing an active game such as Twister or Charades was a fun way to spend an evening also.
What are some of the most popular games that families could play together today?
According to an internet search of the phrase “popular family games”, 5 of the top rated favorite games of today are ones that many parents might remember from their own childhoods.
1. Candy Land, by Hasbro is an enchanting game that is also education for young children. It teaches matching, counting, colors, shapes, and also encourages children to appreciate taking turns and sharing. The story and characters of the game have endeared themselves to children of all ages since the game was introduced to the public in 1949.
2. Taboo, also by Hasbro is more of an adult word guessing game, but teenagers find it challenging and exciting as well. Taboo stimulates the mind and the imagination and also causes the players to employ deductive reasoning and creative thinking in order to solve the question.
3. Sorry! Hasbro first introduced this game to the world in 1934 and ever since then families have been chasing each other’s game pieces around the board trying to be the winner. When playing this game, family members of all ages will get a chance to enjoy just a little friendly revenge and a whole lot of laughter.
4. Tumblin’ Monkeys made by Mattel is a game of skill that the whole family will find challenging and great fun. The object is to be the player with the fewest monkeys left at the end of the game, so you have to be very careful and quick. This is a pretty new game to the market, but it is sure to become a classic.
5. Balderdash is also a Mattel game, though this one has been around for quite a while. It is actually a game more for older kids and adults. However, the little ones will have a blast just watching and listening. When playing this game, the key to winning is in how well you can fool the other players, and in how difficult it is for them to fool you.
Spending an hour or so together every day is important to the entire family relationship as it is an excellent way to relax and stimulate communication. Plus, board games are a really great way to have fun and laugh together. Spending time together as a family is a great way to improve your family health and create memories.
Another great way to play games with the family is to use online games visit http://www.playedonline.com/ for lots of great free games.