Decorating a new house can be hard, and that’s always made more difficult when you’re moving in with that special someone for the first time. Mattress Online have conducted research into just what you value more, your loved ones feelings, or that painting on the wall, they have found that 60% of men and women have argued about interior decorating at some point in their relationship.
With 40% admitting that they would put off moving in with someone if they hated the décor and a huge 56% have stated that they would happily hide their partners furniture if it wasn’t too their taste. Most shockingly 1/3 would throw away someone else’s decor/furniture if they didn’t like it, out of sight, out of mind! But it’s not all war when moving in, as 2 in 5 men and women agreed that their decor pet peeve was fake plants.
The survey has found that 56% of women are completely in charge of decorating the house, with only 20% of men stating the same, however men are 5 times more likely to happily stay out of home décor decisions altogether.
Accessories reign top of the most commonly argued about features in the home:
- 49% of men are staying away from fake plants and fruit
- 32% of women have kept their foot firmly on the ground when it comes to gaming equipment
- 11% of both men and women’s are saying too many photo frames is off-putting
Most hated interior features in the bedroom include:
- 38 % of women said no to sports memorabilia
- 26% of men shunned glam furniture from the bedroom
- 16% of both men and women put wall typography on the top of the ‘no go’ list
70% of people surveyed agreed they’d think about giving up an entire room so their other half could pick their own interior design, and not interfere with the rest of the home. To keep interior arguments at bay Mattress Online have also devised 10 handy tips to keep your new home happy.