Did you know that more accidents happen in the home than anywhere else. That seems a strange statement to make especially given the current icy conditions we are all experiencing – but apparently that is true.
Sometimes it is the things we don’t immediately think will cause problems that do, so here are some safety tips for around the house.
1. Keep corridors and stairs clear of objects – it is easy to trip especially if you or the children are in a rush.
2. Fit safety gates on stairs. If possible get gates which comply with British Safety standards.
3. Board up gaps that a small child or baby can fall through or get stuck in.
4. Secure appliances to the wall that can be pulled over.
5. Do not leave chairs or anything a child can climb on near windows.
6. Fit restrictors, of about 10cm, on windows which open wide.
7. Keep small objects, plastic bags, matches, lighters, chords and wires out of the reach.
8. Only let a child play with a toy that is suitable for their age group.
9. Fit safety or shatterproof glass at low levels.
10. Do not let toddlers walk around with glass or any other sharp objects.
11. Ensure fire alarms are fitted on all floors and tested regularly.
For more safety tips around the home visit More Home Safety Tips