Taking children out for the day can cost a fortune but it really does not have to. With a little imagination there are many simple activities which cost next to nothing and children love to do. The thing to keep in mind is that you don’t have to spend money to have fun.
Make picnics a way of life. A picnic can be as simple as a bag of goodies that you have picked up from your local shop on your way out. All you need is cold meats like ham, or maybe cheese, a few rolls, cherry tomatoes and strawberries. Remember to take drinks and baby wipes and a bag to take all your rubbish home with you.
Don’t get too hung up on the weather. If it is cold or a little bit rainy just wrap up and try and shelter under a tree. And if the weather is really bad – have your picnic at home or in the garden.
- Feed the ducks at the local river or beauty spot.
- Fly a kite.
- Play frisby or ball games
- French cricket or rounders
- Play Poo Sticks if you are near a stream. (Having races with twigs or leaves as they meander down the stream).
- Visit the local park.
- Play tag and hide and seek.
- Go swimming at your local leisure centre and while you are there check out what activities they have on offer.
- Visit the library. Not only is this an activity in itself. Choosing a book to read is fun and free and because it is the children’s choice of book they will have much more of an incentive to read it or have a book read to them.
- The library also is a great source of information about what is on locally. This will also give you the opportunity to find out about any story time sessions the library is running.
- Visit Summer Fairs.