December the busiest month of the year
Planning ahead and making a Christmas to do list really will save you lots of time.
If there is one month of the year that you are likely to feel that you are sinking under an avalanche of things which need to be done it really is December.
There is fine balance to be trod if you don’t like to be doing your Christmas shopping in October or earlier, to suddenly realising that you have not done anything towards Christmas and now suddenly it is December. With all the family’s extra activities you are going to be hard pushed to fit all this extra stuff in.
Christmas to do list
The first thing you need to do is rather than head to the shops or sit at you computer and order loads of stuff online, do a little bit of Christmas admin and planning.
Although it might seem like it is a waste of time doing nothing but writing Christmas to do list, in the long run it will save you lots of time. You will be able to combine errands which will save time. For example perhaps instead of making two trips to the post office or supermarket it will be just one. The trick is to think ahead – weeks ahead.
It is also essential that you write your lists in a note book, diary or save it electronically. This will allow you to add to your list and update it. What you don’t really need at this time of the year is to lose your important Christmas to do list.
Update your diary
Make sure you have written all the events you and your family are attending along with any additional information which may prove useful for example.
- What you are planning to wear. If it needs to be cleaned and ironed.
- Who is baby sitting.
- What time you will need to leave the house
Present Buying List
- Make a special Christmas to do list of all the presents you need to buy and who they are for.
- Update this list as you buy things – and particularly once you have wrapped them. This may save any last-minute panics or attacks of amnesia when you are shopping and wondering whether you have actually have already bought them a present.
- Make another separate to do list of all the other stuff you need to do during December.
- Include writing and posting Christmas cards
All the other miscellaneous Christmas stuff
There is always a great deal of miscellaneous stuff to do at Christmas and it is good idea to make a list of all these different activities – and enter them into your diary. It may seem strange entering “do online Christmas shop” or “take dress to cleaners”, as an event. But both of these activities will take time and need to be worked into your working week.
- Create a menu plan – and transfer this to your shopping list
- Order food including the Christmas Turkey
- Write Christmas cards and post
- Wrap Christmas presents
- Household cleaning and maintenance.
Make Christmas Admin fun
And to make life a little more fun when you are writing Christmas cards or wrapping presents, rather than squeeze this into when you have some free time and are feeling energetic why not make it an event in itself.
Schedule your admin events into your diary and make them into a fun evening. Order a takeaway. Get the children to bed and listen to music or TV that you enjoy. It will really help get you into the Christmas spirit.